"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime"-MARK TWAIN

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Just Coasting

 

Things are quiet on the hill.  The back is feeling much better, so I’ve been cutting grass, weed eating, and other mundane chores.  Have spent part of today getting the trailer back in order.  Another week and we’ll be on the road, hopefully. 

Mixed emotions on our destinations.  It seems the crowds are getting larger in all parts of the West, especially anywhere near a National Park.  Places we visited as late as 2009 that were considered remote, with very few people, are overrun now.  It doesn’t matter if school is in or out, it’s young folks, old folks, all folks, everywhere.  I can’t find fault with any of them.  They just want the experience, also.  Figure it won’t be long before one will need a reservation to visit a park, hike on public land,  or even boondock.  Oh well, I’ll get off the soapbox.

The hawk chicks appear to doing well.  They spend their time looking around for their meal wagon to arrive.

IMG_8365

IMG_8518-001

I thought I might get lucky with a picture of mom arriving with dinner, but whatever she is bringing to the nest is small, and she moves fast.

IMG_8520-002

The best I can tell is she arrives with her prey, and drops it in the nest. Then it’s the best one wins.  Appears both chicks are doing well.  She only hangs around for thirty seconds or so, then takes wing again on another hunting trip.

IMG_8506-001

IMG_8501-001

IMG_8530-001

The pictures leave a lot to be desired, but they are the best I can get from my point ’n’ shoot camera.  I knew I’d regret letting the daughter have that fancy new camera I purchased last year.Smile

3 comments:

  1. Terrific photo's...anytime you can capture shots like that, you've been successful!... I know what you mean about the crowds...I mentioned it in one of my posts....use to be after Labor Day all had cleared out...not any more and places that never had a sole 4 years ago...don't get me started...Can't wait to read your trip posts...we are heading to KC in short order...I guessing this will continue for a while...Take care and don't stop taking the Chicks photo's...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you about the crowding. One reason I've decided to stay put this summer as the problem does ease, as you know, after the kiddies are back in school. Glad your back is improved and that the chicks are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos! I would love to see hawk chicks. Wow.

    Caravan on up to the Yukon with me. No crowds there, except crowds of skeeters. My cousin will be going along also - he's moving back to Alaska and will be driving his pickup. He knows lots of quiet untouched (for now) places.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.