"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime"-MARK TWAIN

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Seven years, 166 sites

 

081413

We received the renewal for the Casita license plate the first of the Month.  Stopped for a moment to think about it, and realized it was seven years ago that we purchased our little trailer.  That, along with a comment from someone that came across the blog, brought on more reminiscing.  Their comment was something like; “can’t believe all the places you’ve taken that Casita!”

I can’t believe it, either.  I’ve been blogging for about two and a half years.  Many of our travels happened before then. Our little trailer has transported us from Big Bend to the Great Lakes. 

DSCN0123 (Medium)

IMG_0555 (Medium)

To the Teton’s and Yellowstone……..

IMG_6348 (Medium)

DSCN0042 (Medium)

Crazy Horse and Custer.

IMG_6162 (Medium)crop

IMG_6185 (Medium)

Ruins of different cultures.

DSCN0223 (Medium)

DSCN0009 (Medium)

Glaciers, beautiful campgrounds, Banff, and purple mountains majesty.

DSCN0089 (Medium)

367 (Medium)

373 (Medium)

388 (Medium)

We’ve camped along Hwy 101 from Northern California to Washington State, and spent weeks along the forgotten coast of Florida.  Waded the Mississippi River, and stood with a foot on both sides of the Missouri. Yep, that little Casita has been around.

For whatever reason, after our first weekend out with the Casita, I marked the location on Google Earth.  It soon became a habit.  After arriving back home from a trip, I pin the location on my Google Earth home page. At latest count, there are 166 sites where our little trailer has spent at least one night.  We haven’t even touched the East coast, yet.  There’s just something about the West that draws me. And, Alaska keeps whispering in my ear.

I sure hope we’re blessed to add an additional 166 pins to that old map.  There’s just so many experiences you can find on the small roads, towing a little trailer.

DSCN0097 (Medium)

9 comments:

  1. Oh Jerry! I loved this post! Never ever had a thought about pinning to Google Earth.

    What a great walk down memory lane for you. And I had no idea that you and Wanda had been so many places.

    Don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jerry, what a great history of your travels. So glad Jeff & I got to meet you at Dome Rock, but wish we'd gotten to visit more. We've stayed at a few other places you've been, like same park in Sante Fe & Wallace SP in MO. Hopefully we'll cross paths again. We're only starting year six in our egg, but we'll try to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a world of wonder and adventure your little Casita has opened to you. I loved your post. Your photos touch my soul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Terrific Summary .....Love the goggle map idea.....However your photos really tell the story!!!!...and the Crazy Horse photo is one to enlarge and Frame...getting that magic light on the "Real Monument".....PRICELESS.....thanks for sharing...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so need to start pinning or tracking some way or another. Today marks one month for us...and I see how long you've been at it...now I won't feel lost and questioning this leap we took as much. What stories and memories you have .... I need to go back and read your posts all over again! And I really hope our paths cross sometime soon. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful....and I look forward to following many more of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too need to figure out that pinning business with Google. It is fun to look back and see all the places we've been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post!! I sure hope our little Casita takes us to that many places/sites. I think it will! :-) One thing that Mike began to realize is that the MH wasn't getting us where we wanted to go (5 to 6 miles per gallon) and then we couldn't get into the places that really matter to us. Towing it home from Ohio was a joy!!
    Your pictures are amazing and I agree with Horst...the Crazy Horse pic should be framed!!
    Hope to meet you and Wanda (and Sally) one day "down the road."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting! I like your blog and will look forward to seeing more of the places you stay.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.