"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime"-MARK TWAIN

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Making the most of your Dash



Somewhere, the past couple of weeks, I read something about a dash representing our time on Earth.  I don’t remember the exact wording, but it put me to thinking.

Dash definitions.   A small quantity of anything thrown into or mixed with something else:  a hasty or sudden movement: a rush or sudden onset: the mark or sign (—) used to note an abrupt break or pause in a sentence, to indicate the omission of letters or words, to divide a line, to substitute for certain uses of the colon, and to separate various elements of a sentence, as a question from its answer.

That official definition doesn’t speak to what I was thinking about.

A great place to find the dash is in cemeteries.  You know, something like John Smith,  1943-2015.  Birth year, and year of death.  Good information.  But, not nearly as important as what is represented by the dash.

That dash represented 72 years.  What things were accomplished during that dash?  Did he do the things he wanted, or die with regrets?  Was he married, have a loving family, or live the life of a loner?  Whatever the answers, they’re all represented by the dash.

You see? Our lives are represented by a dash.  Our time to do what is good, what is right, what is fun, and what makes us, and those around us, happy.

Make the most of your dash!  It’s what you will be remembered for. Not the beginning or the end.



13 comments:

  1. I think you brought a lot of happiness to folks who read your (-)....blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IHOPE YOU WILL BE BACK.I HAVE TRULY ENJOYED ALL YOUR POST INCLUDING THIS ONE .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the theme of this post!

    I echo Judy's sentiments. Although I completely understand your aversion to Google Blogger - what a headache! I can't get LiveWriter to recognize my travel blog and, as a result, can't use it. Bummer, because I understand it cures most Blogger ills. Still hope to hear more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started my blog on blogger so I am familiar with it and have had very few problems with it. I was surprised, today, because I haven't blogged and posted in a long time, at how quickly the pictures now post.

    I think people are just resistant to change. It took me less than 10 minutes to post tonight and there are a lot of pictures, and I wrote directly into blogger. I hate to see anyone stop blogging because of the change. Though I am not familiar with LiveWriter, the words, stories, and pictures are still the same and just as enjoyable from this side of the screen. I can't tell the difference. I really hope you'll continue to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the symbolism of the -dash- :) I also have always only used blogger and MS word for text and just pasting into blogger. I just posted a blog with over 20 pictures and it was truly fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've never used Live Writer and have managed a decent post just using Microsoft Word to create our post the Copying and Pasting it to Blogger. Hope you reconsider your choice as we have always enjoyed following your travels.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you must leave Eggrollings behind to make the most of your dash....so be it! Life is a constant flux of changes. But I do hope we keep hearing from you, occasionally. I can't say much to someone who is going dark as I am rarely posting, but I do intend of getting geared up when my casita url is changed!

    I started with Blogger and it seems to do the same stuff. Have not been able to use Live Writer,my preferred program, since changing over to Windows 10.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you quit blogging how will we know about your dash? WordPress is pretty easy. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought as a dash as moving quickly, like a "100 dash"...sooo I'm not to enamored about you "dashing" out of the blogging family....but I respect your priorities....stay in touch with emails every now and again...will miss your insightful posts....hopefully we'll see the "egg rolling" in the near future...Good luck...Your Friend...Horst

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jerry I liked your comment on a "dash". Looking forward to seeing you guys and Sally next May and maybe in February.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Live Writer has been turned over to the Open Source community, which is working on updates. See https://www.dotnetfoundation.org/blog/open-live-writer

    Thanks for all your posts. Loved this one especially.

    -- Anne P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jerry...If I read the "Bayfield Bunch" post correctly the other day, Live Writer is going live today...I'm holding you to your word that you will also.. :) Horst sends

    ReplyDelete
  13. I removed my note about the death of Live Writer. As there is now a open source version available, Eggrollings will continue to make its way around the Internet. Thanks to all for your comments, and thanks to the volunteers at Microsoft and Google for making it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.