"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime"-MARK TWAIN

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Home Again

 

IMG_5866

 

After our tour of the crane refuge on Saturday, we made our way to Madisonville, LA and Fairview-Riverside State Park.  This is one our favorite campgrounds near home.  Easy access and close to lots of restaurants and shopping areas.

We called up some close friends that lived in the area and they came out to visit for a while.  Brought a truckload of firewood with them for us to burn Saturday night.  We decided to go out together for an early dinner, then return to the CG for a fire.

Had five pounds of boiled crawfish for supper.  First of the season.  They were kind of small, but still delicious.  Had to order an additional pound for dessert.

 

2012-01-28 16.48.12

 

  The weather was perfect for a fire.  Just enough chill in the air to make a it fun to sit around and visit.

 

1322867976624

 

They said their goodbyes around 9 PM and we were in bed by 10.  Hooked up early Sunday morning and hit the local Café De Monde for coffee and beignets.

 

2012-01-29 09.01.10

 

From there it was a short stop at Academy Sports as Wanda wanted some new walking shoes.  I perused the kayak section while she shopped.  Really want to get myself one of those.

Home around noon and trailer unloaded and parked by 2PM.

Monday found me Working on the new house my brother and I are constructing.  Third one in three years.  Got to do something in the Winter, right?

4 comments:

  1. Jerry if you are thinking of buying a Kayak look at an inflatable. Ours is the 2 person Sea Eagle 735 weighs about 60 lbs That includes the paddles, seats, kayak, pump and life vest. It also fits in its own canvas storage bag which is about 42"x14"x14" and stores nicely in our basement storage. It sets up in less then 8 minutes and once its dry stored in about 5 minutes.

    The most reasonable place to get them from is Inflatable Boats 4 Less. http://inflatableboats4less.com/
    It's run by Tim and Crystal Ryerson. They have many different styles, you won't be sorry.

    Safe Travels & Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, your morning breakfast looks sooooo good. I remember my first beignets 3+ years ago, when I was visiting a friend in New Orleans while traveling the southern states with my Casita. You just made me hungry for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Being from the north, I just can't get my brain around eating crawfish. :( I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had crawfish, but like Judy just do not see the attraction:(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.